Jaipur, October, 2019. Did you know that the reason for pain, stiffness and locking and popping of joints, especially in the knees and hips, can be more than just lethargy and bad posture? Doctors across the city have been witnessing a steady rise in arthritis cases among the young. While obesity, sedentary lifestyle, poor dietary habits, are the primary factors, early diagnosis can help in better management of the condition.
According to experts, most Indian patients reach out for treatment only when the pain becomes unbearable and starts affecting their daily life. In such chronic cases, conservative options such as medications, lifestyle modifications, usually fail to provide long term pain relief and joint replacement is the only viable solution.
On World Arthritis day, Dr Vijay Sharma, Consultant Orthopedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon, Narayana Multi-Specialty Hospital, Jaipur, elaborates on the significance of timely detection and treatment.
- Ignorance is not a bliss: Do you or your loved ones complain about joint pain, stiffness and then rubbish it as a sign of ageing? Maybe it is time to consult an expert to nail the real cause. Arthritis is a progressive condition that can worsen the joint damage if overlooked. Earlier you seek treatment, better are your chances to slow down your joint damage.
- Shed those extra kilos: Being overweight is one of the major risk factors for the onset of arthritis. Our joints are designed for carrying a certain amount of weight. Every 1 kg of additional weight can cause four times the pressure on knees. Studies have shown that losing just 10% of your body weight can ease your arthritis pain by 50%.
- Talk to your doctor, clear the doubts: If diagnosed with arthritis, it is natural to have multiple questions on causes, extent of damage, treatment plan, etc. But sometimes psychological block, reservations around knee replacement, can hold you from pursuing the right course of treatment. So, speak to your doctor and debunk the myths!
- Make exercise your best friend: Contrary to the common belief that physical activity can aggravate joint pain, it aids in pain relief. Exercise strengthens the muscles around the joint. This in turn helps relieve pain and improves joint movement. Including swimming, walking, biking, in your everyday routine can do wonders for your joint health!
- Live life to the fullest: Seeking right medical attention at the right time can help you lead an improved quality of life. Today, advancements in orthopaedics has revolutionized arthritis management. From conservative treatment options to surgical interventions like minimally invasive surgery and joint replacement therapy, arthritis can be easily managed.
The key to achieving better health outcome is knowledge— clarity about the medical condition and taking the necessary steps. From maintaining a healthy lifestyle to seeking an expert’s opinion, arthritis needs to be addressed with practical approach. So, don’t delay, connect today! g