MSDE to organize the first Virtual Global Skill Summit
New Delhi, 12th Nov 2022.
To facilitate economic growth and international workforce mobility, the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) will host the Virtual Global Skill Summit (VGSS) with an aim to institutionalize a mechanism for the exchange of information on skill requirements of countries and the skill availability in India on 15th November 2022.
Our Hon’ble Prime Minister has also stressed on positioning India as the preferred global hub of skilled workforce across sectorsand under his able leadership several initiatives have been introduced under Skill India Missionto make India’s youth relevant in national and international job marketsto boost their employability.
The VGSS will bring together 51 nations, and this is the first meeting with 10 nations to initiate the first round of discussion around international mobility and to support recognition of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET). Indian Ambassadors from ten different countries namely Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Singapore, Tanzania, United Arab Emirates, and United Kingdomwill participate and deliberate in this summit.
The summit will initiate deliberations on skill harmonization and bench marking of qualifications, quality standardization, setting up of skill centres and extending joint training and certification servicesto promote global mobility, employability, and readiness for the youth to join the global workforce.It will provide opportunity to workforce to have access to skill training, and facilitation of language training through its robust linkage with industry and global competitiveness across sectors.
MSDE has undertaken severalinitiatives to strengthen international ties with several nations for propelling skill training and increasing Indian youth’s employability in global markets.One such noteworthy measure is the signing of MoU with Japan to train workforce under the Technical Intern Training Program (TITP) tobolster India’s positioning in the arena of skill development. The ministry has also collaborated with Germanyto create a conducive framework for skill development and vocational
education and training to provide high qualityon the jobopportunities to India’s youth and organising VGSS is yet another step towards strengthening and standardizing skilling amongst partner nations.
Hon’ble Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Textiles will address the summit in cooperation with Hon’ble Minister of External Affairs and Hon’ble Minister of Education and Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Government of India. Hon’ble Minister of State for Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India will also grace the summit.
Focus areas of the Virtual Global Skill Summit
- Strengthen communication and dialogue among nations to support recognition of Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET)standards and guidelines, skill harmonisation and benchmarking of qualifications and facilitate for
- overseas migration of workforce in destination countries through collaboration and agreements
- Explore avenues for joint Training of Trainers/ Assessors, testing and certification facility
- Leverage global chain and extend joint training services through dual certification degrees, exchange programmes, delegations etc
- Enhancing scope for linkages in Indian Skill Universities for foreign students
- Establish linkages for facilitation of language training
- Strong industry-academia connect in the skilling domain
- Explore business/ entrepreneurship opportunities and avenues in overseas
- Strengthen Labour market engagement with different countries