Mumbai, May 31, 2019.
In line with the vision of ‘all stakeholders’ wellbeing as the very purpose of our existence’, as conceived by Jamsetji Tata, the Tata Group founder, Tata Motors has been pioneering its corporate social responsibility agenda to promote Health, Education, Employability and the Environment. Community development as well as the scope and depth of its operations have grown exponentially over the years. Reinforcing its commitment towards nation building, Tata Motors has touched over 7 lakh lives of which nearly 40% belong to the SC and ST communities
Here is a snapshot of the company’s CSR interventions across four key thrust areas:
- Building and Strengthening Healthcare Facilities ‘AROGYA’
The focus in this programme has been on eradicating malnutrition in children under five year age and providing safe drinking water especially in drought prone tribal hamlets/habitations. The company has created a strong cadre of community health workers who provide basic health services at the doorstep. In Pune, Jamshedpur and Lucknow, the mobile medical van ferries the neighborhood on a regular basis and has arrested many health issues. As a result, the number of parents availing the services have reduced over time.
- In FY19, over 3 Lakh people benefitted from this programme
- Over 90% of the malnourished children brought to sustained healthy zone
- Water security ensured across 450 habitations
- Augmenting Primary Education System ‘VIDYADHANAM’
This programme is engineered to improve the academic performance of secondary/college going students through targeted approach by instituting need-based financial support, special coaching classes, etc. Tata Motors is the first corporate in India to support IIT Bombay under Affirmative Action (AA) for Financial Aid Programme (FAP) program.
- Over 1 lakh students were engaged through this programme
- Pass % in government schools improved from 55% in FY 2015 to 80% in FY 17
- 44% of class 10th students secured first class marks
- Enhancing programmes on Employability ‘KAUSHALYA’
The programme focuses on training unemployed youth in three segments – auto trades, non-auto trades and agriculture & allied activities. On receiving NSDC certification, students find employment opportunities in open market (including Tata Motors’ ecosystem). The company also engages with community based groups of women and farmers and helps them earn supplementary income through agriculture and allied programs. In Pune, Tata Motors ran an exclusive driver training batches of 50 women in partnership with Ambika Motors. Currently, Tata Motors in collaboration with Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) is training another batch of 50 SC women.
- Skilled over 1 lakh youth and farmers
- 56% have found employment in selected trades post training
- 4% of the trained youth started their own enterprise
- Increase in the annual income by ₹ 1 lakh
- Nurturing sustainability through environmental programmes‘VASUNDHARA’
Concentrated efforts to increase the green cover through sapling plantation and also enhanced environmental awareness among communities.
- Over 11 lakh saplings were planted and ensured their survival rate remained significantly high (85%); 90% plants are indigenous
- Over 89,000 people (mostly young children) were sensitize about the cause
- 27% reduction in wood demand due to adoption of fuel efficient cooking stove
- Inclusive, Equitable and holistic development of society through ‘AADHAR’
To promote inclusivity, Tata Motors has institutionalized Tata Affirmative Action Programme (TAAP) known as “Aadhar” that practices positive discrimination for Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) in case of Employment and & Entrepreneurship and higher coverage in CSR led programmes.
Under the concept of Integrated Village Development, which focuses on holistic development of a tribal village/hamlet, Tata Motor collaborated with Sahabhag (the CSR Cell of Government of Maharashtra). This pilot project saw improvement in the quality of 3000 tribal lives of Pathardi gram panchayat in Jawhar block of Palghar district where 70% of the resources for village development came from the government.
No. of SC/ST lives touched by 5 ‘E’s:
- Essential Enablers: 1,88,091 Lives Touched
- Education: 37,463 Lives Touched
- Employability: 25,280 Lives Touched
- Employment: 11% employees are fromSC/ST community.
- Entrepreneurship: 26 (SC/ST) vendors have been developed
- Volunteering Programme:
- 10500 employees (40% of total workforce) invested 60000 volunteering hours for social development
- 95 Fast trackers under ‘Leadership One’ engaged in CSR projects for 8 weeks
- 106 managers signed up for Pro-Engage. Dedicated 6 months to address social causes
Sustainable development is integral to the Tata Motors’ philosophy, which has been translated into every action towards making a definite impact on the long-term value to the community they serve. Over the last five years, the company has touched over 2.45 million lives, invested over 100 Cr and has brought per beneficiary cost down from ₹ 740 in 2014-15 to ₹332. For more information on Tata Motors’ CSR strategy and commitment, please click here to access the entire report – Tata Motors CSR Annual Report FY 18-19.